- 702 Riddle
- See image. One of the ground floor windows with musical stickers
- Number of fully visible black keys
Detailed answerThe picture symbolizes an address plate with missing letters. The answer is Malookhtinskiy pr.
- 711 Telezhny per., 2
- T-shaped installation in front of the building
- Hashtag in the installation description
- 714 Riddle
- See photo. Western-most guard box. Stairs with a safety fence
- Number of steps
Detailed answerThe winter photograph shows the Alexander Nevsky drawbridge.
- 751 A section of the passageway between the 1st Lavrsky Bridge and Necropolis of the Masters of Arts
- Sign next to the wall with the City Museum of Urban Sculpture invitation. Text in English
- Widow's surname
Soon after the founding of the monastery, a convent school was established. It formed the basis of all educational institutions in the capital. In the same year, 1797, it became the Aleksandr Nevsky Theological Academy.
In 1932, it was decided to construct the Masters of Arts Necropolis at the site of Tikhvin Cemetery, founded by the Lavra in 1823. The arrangement of Necropolis involved relocation of monuments from several cemeteries, including the Sergius Desert cemetery, Farforovskoye, Mitrofanievskoye, Malookhtinskoye, Vyborgskoye (Roman Catholic), Smolenskoye (Orthodox, Lutheran, and Armenian), Volkovskoye (Orthodox and Lutheran), Novodevichie, Nikolskyoye and Georgievskoye cemetery (at Bolshaya Okhta). Numerous graves were destroyed at the cemetery during that period, as the authorities considered them historically insignificant.
Nikolai Gnedich who translated the ‘Iliad’, Fyodor Dostoevsky, poetess Elisabeth Kulmann, Arkhip Kuindzhi, Mikhail Glinka, Nikolai Rimsky-Korsakov, Modest Musorgsky, Pyotr Tchaikovsky and many others are buried here.
- 752 Chernoretsky per., 5a
- “Metal” tree in front of the entrance to the business centre
- Number of lights on the pavement around the tree
- 754 nab. r. Monastyrki, 3a
- Passageway to Mitropolichy Garden next to the building. Sign with information about the garden
- Year with the lowest sum of digits
- 759 System of courtyards starting from Konnaya ul., 15
- Paintings on firewalls. Firewall with three paintings
- Number of players on the painting at the bottom
- 790 Zanevsky pr., 24/35
- Memorial plaque on the wall
- Bottom line
- в песках Закаспия
- 792 Malookhtinsky pr., 94
- Number of large round columns at the level of the 4th-5th floors
- 798 Telezhny per.
- Number of benches on the central part of the street between the trees
- 701 Riddle
- See image. Say out aloud what you see here. House No. 8B. Windows overlooking the street. Exterior design of the restaurant
- Number of knives
Detailed answerThe words "key", "roach", "knigh", "are" would give you Kirochnaya
- 712 Liteyny pr., 53
- Gateway leading to Anna Akhmatova museum. Wall behind the “MUSEUM” installation
- Date under the word “perception” (ощущенье)
- 21 августа 1963 года
The palace that has come to be known as the Fountain House was built by architects Savva Chevakinsky and Fyodor Argunov (Sheremetev’s serf). Some researches credit the original design to Yeropkin and Rastrelli. The Northern wing is located in the yard and features a gate decorated with the coat of arms of the Sheremetev family. It was built in 1864 against the design of Nicholas Benois. Count Sergey Dmitrievich Sheremetev was the last owner of the palace. He was a member of the State Council, an honorary academician, historian, collector and researcher of Old Russian manuscripts and ancient books, and the founder of the Society of Lovers of Ancient Writing.
Following the revolution, the palace served as a Museum of Noble Life, which existed until 1931. Anna Akhmatova and Nikolay Punin lived in this palace for many thirty years, although not continuously. First they stayed in the Northern wing, and later moved to the Southern one. It was here that Akhmatova composed numerous renowned poems. Not all of them were written down. She was afraid of repressions, besides she was being watched. That is why the poetess entrusted some of her verses only to her closest friends, who memorised them. This is how the ‘Requiem’ and the ‘Poem without a Hero’, which Akhmatova herself called a symphony of generation’s fate, survived.
In 1989, Anna Akhmatova Literary and Memorial Museum was opened in the palace's southern garden wing. Incidentally, Lev Gumilev’s Museum and Memorial Apartment in Kolomenskaya Ulitsa is its branch.
- 713 1st Sovetskaya ul., 12
- “End of an Era” commemoration sign in front of the building. Plaque
- Difference between the number of letters “О” and the number of letters “М”
- 715 per. Ulyany Gromovoy, 4
- Façade facing the street
- Number of caryatides on the 3rd floor level
- 716 ul. Pestelya, 14
- Art object to the left of staircase No. 5
- Number of characters depicted
- 2; 4; 6
In 1876, the building was further renovated by the architect Julius Dutel, who expanded it alongside Ulitsa Pestelya (then Panteleimonovskaya Ulitsa). From that point on, the revenue house, which at that time belonged to A. Tupikov, acquired its modern eclectic look.
Up until 1927, the building housed the Byloye Publishing House and the Union of Leningrad Cooperative Book Publishers. Afterwards, the ground floor of the house was occupied by a pharmacy for almost fifty years.
- 740 Riddle
- See image (we did not indicate the year). House No. 11 approximately 200 metres from the object encoded on the left. Painted ZAZ car parked in front of the building
- Number on the license plate
Detailed answer1985 is not shown in the picture. Then a star disappeared from the spire of the Ploschad Vosstaniya metro station, and another star appeared on the Hero City Leningrad stele. But the distance between the two objects is indicated.
- 753 Riddle
- Approximately thirty-three years and four months passed between the first event and the most famous second event. A sort of the second event has recently happened to the building dedicated to the first event. Plaque on the building you need to find to the right of the main entrance
- All the years on the plaque
Detailed answerAccording to conventional dating, Jesus Christ resurrected in April 33 AD. Church of the Nativity in Peski has recently been "resurrected" at its initial location.
Answer: 1781, 1787, 1934, 7528, 2020
- 1781, 1787, 1934, 7528, 2020
- 760 ul. Mayakovskogo, 3a
- Monument in a public garden in front of the building. Plaque
- Multiply the number of letters “В” by the number of letters “Н”
Detailed answer3 by 5
- 704 Riddle
- The first piece is an action when
You take and use the thing and then
Return. Part two: it wouldn't be that bad
To know who's your department's head.
The third part is above us all.
You know the street. Now you can go.
House No. 15. Stairway No. 2. Plaque by the entrance
- Sum of the numbers of the flats located on the 2nd floor
Detailed answerThis is a charade. The words 'borrow', 'dean', 'sky' meant in total Borodinskaya street.
- 706 Riddle
- If you are from the US or Poland then you know Artur better. If you are from Moscow, then it is Nikolay. But if you are in St. Petersburg then go to Anton’s street. House No. 23.
- Team selfie with the monument in the background
Detailed answerArthur Rubinstein was a Polish-American classical pianist. He is widely regarded as one of the greatest pianists of all time. Russian pianist, conductor, and composer Nikolai Rubinstein was the founder of the Moscow Conservatory. His elder brother, Anton Rubinstein, was a brilliant pianist, composer and conductor, was also the founder of the Saint Petersburg Conservatory.
- 717 Zagorodny pr., 28
- “Last Address” plaques on the wall facing the avenue
- Earliest year on the plaques
- 742 Stremyannaya ul., 18
- Plaque with historical information about the street in English next to the gates
- During which activity did groom-servants accompany their Mistress?
The Society was founded soon after the assassination of Alexander II in order to prevent further incidents of this kind, or, to put it another way, ‘to counteract anarchy, socialism, atheism and Protestant teachings’. Archpriest Mikhail Sokolov, the rector of the Kazan Cathedral, headed the society. Among the members of the Society there were famous people of conservative views, including Konstantin Pobedonostsev. In 1918, the Society tried to resist the Bolsheviks’ appropriation of the Aleksandr Nevsky Lavra by holding a Cross Procession. The Lavra remained open, but a few months later the Chairman of the Society was shot, and it soon ceased to exist.
Since 1965 and up to the present day the building houses a library. Over the past years it has changed its name four times.
- 747 ul. Lomonosova
- Monument to Aleksandr II in front of the North-Western branch of the Central Bank of Russia
- All the years from the 19th century
- 749 Grafsky per., 5
- Bust to Adam Mickiewicz in front of the building. Inscription on the pedestal
- The longest word in Latin alphabet
Historical backgroundSchool No. 216 named after Adam Mickiewicz with in-depth study of Polish language has been established in Grafsky Pereulok in 1991. Next to the school there is a portrait sculpture of a famous Polish poet and writer.
Mickiewicz was a man of thorny destiny. When studying at the University of Vilnius (then Vilensky), he became one of the founders of the ‘Philomath Society’. First it was just a student association, and later it evolved into a patriotic political union. Nationalistic views of the Society were inconsistent with the internal policy of the Russian Empire. Six years later, in 1823, the members of the Society were arrested and prosecuted. A total of 108 members of student societies were involved in the process, making it the largest student political trial in Europe at that time. Several defendants, including Mickiewicz, were sentenced to exile in the inland areas of Russia.
Mickiewicz spent several years in Odessa, Moscow and St. Petersburg, whereupon he embarked on a journey across Europe, hopelessly struggling to return to Poland. While in Rome in 1848, Mickiewicz created the Polish Legion, which fought for the freedom of Lombardy. Later on, together with a group of the French and immigrants, he founded the ‘La Tribune des Peuples’, a periodical featuring a radical social programme. Following the intervention of the Russian embassy, the magazine publication stopped. After the French coup d'état of 1851 Mickiewicz was kept under police supervision. The last patriotic action by the poet was an attempt to form Polish legions to fight Russia after France engaged in the Crimean War. To this end, in September 1855 he arrived in Istanbul, where he unexpectedly died. He was buried in France, in the Polish cemetery in Montmorency. In 1900, the ashes of Mickiewicz were solemnly transported to Poland and laid to rest in a sarcophagus in the Wawel Cathedral.
Mickiewicz’s collected book ‘Poetry’, published in 1822, marked the beginning of Polish romanticism. ‘Konrad von Wallenrode. Historical Novella from Lithuanian and Prussian History’ is a nonpareil example of historical romantic poem of 14th century. Pan Tadeusz is a ‘national poem’, unique from a literary point of view, reflecting the world of the Polish gentry immediately in advance of Napoleon’s army invasion.
U architektów sławne jest przysłowie,
Że ludzi ręką był Rzym budowany,
A Wenecyją stawili bogowie;
Ale kto widział Petersburg, ten powie,
Że budowały go chyba szatany.
There is a famous proverb among architects,
That Rome was built by human hand,
And the gods made Venice;
But whoever saw St. Petersburg will say,
That it must have been built by Satan.
- 761 pl. Lomonosova, 2
- “European Walkway” stand in the public garden opposite the building. Information in English
- Number of times theatre is spelled "theater"
The Aleksandrinsky Theatre marks the beginning of Ulitsa Zodchego Rossi, unique for its proportions. Its width 22 metres, equals the height of the buildings on both sides. Moreover, the length is 220 metres: ten times the width. Ulitsa Zodchego Rossi connects Aleksandrinsky Theatre with the square, which is also furnished in the Empire style. In the same manner as the nearest bridge, this square was named after the first owner of the land, Count Chernyshev, the servant of Peter the Great. It was not until 1948 that the square received the name of Mikhail Lomonosov, although a small bust of the scientist by P. Zabello was installed in the square as early as in 1892.
- 703 Riddle
- See image. Here you can see a Japanese, Greek, and French versions of a treat. One of them matches the Russian version. Go to the house of the Russian author not far from the toponym bearing his name. Ground floor windows overlooking the street. Information in the windows about services offered
- Working in which software?
Detailed answerThe picture shows a snail, ap piece of meat and a piece of cheese. In the Japanese fairy tale, Aesop's fable and La Fontaine's fable, a crow was going to feast on this. In the Russian version of the fable "The Crow and the Fox" written by Ivan Andreevich Krylov "God sent a piece of cheese to the crow." The answer is Krylov's house not far from the lane named after him.
- 705 Riddle
- See image. Find house No. 10 where the artist is looking towards.
Façade facing the street. Text above the ground floor windows
- Which Russian letters are flipped?
Detailed answerThe painting shows a view of the General Staff Building and Bolshaya Morskaya Street from Nevsky Prospect.
Answer: Б, Р
- Б, Р
- 718 Italyanskaya ul., 6/4
- Gates leading up to the Matryoshka Museum. Plaque over the intercom next to the gates
- The longest word starting with “M”
Mikhail Yuryevich was in charge of cultural and musical life of the city and even raised funds to organise receptions for celebrities from the music world. Mikhail Vielgorsky popularised symphonic music and was one of the originators of the Concert Society, the Philharmonic Society and wind orchestras. Composer Hector Berlioz called the Salon of the Vielgorsky brothers ‘the minor Ministry of Fine Arts’.
In the 1940s, the building of the ‘minor ministry’, designed by architect Kedrinsky, was rebuilt and merged with an adjacent house with a common façade. Later the building was occupied by a kindergarten, and in 1993 part of the premises of the Vielgorskys’ house were inherited by the Russian Grammar School (Gymnasium) of the State Russian Museum.
/Кarl Bryullov. ‘Portrait of a Musician M. Vielgorsky’, 1828./
- 719 nab. r. Moyki, 73, lit. A
- The main entrance. The plaque on the left side.
- The first word in the last line
- 720 pl. Ostrovskogo, 2A, lit. A
- Number of atlases on the façades
- 732 Mikhaylovskaya ul., 1
- Façade facing Mikhaylovskaya ul.
- Number of atlases on the 3rd floor level
During 1870s, several buildings in Mikhailovskaya Ulitsa were rebuilt by architect Ludwig Fontana to form the Hotel d’Europe. Fontana was engaged in major repairs and reconstruction of dozens of houses throughout St. Petersburg. In 1910s, Fyodor Lidval extended the hotel building with a fourth floor. He also partly redesigned interior environment, including the grand staircase.
Following the Revolution, the hotel became known as the ‘House of Soviet Employees’, and later it housed a shelter for homeless children. In Soviet times, between 1934 and 1989, the Hotel ‘Evropeyskaya’ was located here. In 1991, it was renamed the Grand Hotel Europe, and in 2009 it was declared the most luxurious hotel in the world.
Famous people, including Pyotr Tchaikovsky, Ivan Turgenev, Ivan Aivazovsky, Anatoly Lunacharsky, Vladimir Mayakovsky, Maxim Gorky, Vsevolod Meyerhold, Sergei Prokofiev, Dmitry Shostakovich, Isaac Dunaevsky, Igor Stravinsky, Konstantin Paustovsky, Claude Debussy, Johann Strauss, King Gustaf V of Sweden, Herbert Wells, and Bernard Shaw used to stay here.
- 765 Admiralteysky pr., 6
- Entrance from the avenue. Sign with information about the museum in English
- Second line from the bottom
- Security Agencies
After Vietinghoff the house was bought by Count Samoilov, the nephew of Prince Potyomkin, and shortly after that the building was taken over by the state. Until 1876, the building housed the Chambers of the Criminal and Civil Court, the District Police and County Court, the Court Council, the Provincial Government, the Treasury Chamber, the Archives of the Provincial Government, the Treasury Chamber and the Court Chambers, the Welfare Board, the Provincial Surveyor and his drawing room, the Provincial Printing House, the County Treasury and the money store rooms. In 1877, after the reconstruction of the interior design, the building was handed over to the Town Council.
The house survived the October Revolution and was taken over by the All-Russian Special Commission for Combating Counter-revolution, Sabotage, and Speculation headed by Felix Dzerzhinsky. In 1918, the government moved from to Moscow, and in 1930’s the building became residential. In 1970–1980’s, the building came under the jurisdiction of Glavleningradstroy. The Department of the Automated System for Planning, Control and Regulation of Construction was located in its premises.